Innovation Guide #57
Build an innovation ecosystem
In this innovation guide, your team will explore the additional skills and partners needed to bring our design to market. Building from the work we've completed in foresight, design and business modelling, the team will analyze and develop a plan to acquire the needed skill sets via hiring, training and partnering.
• How are we going to move beyond "a design" and deliver an actual solution to market?
• What skills are we missing internally, and how do we build or acquire them?
• Knowing the limitations of our team, who should we find and develop as partners?
• A story of our vision, design and plan which we can use in our team, along with potential hires and partners
• A model of the skills we need and how we can build or acquire them efficiently
• A more detailed plan for building and delivering our solution to market
1. Gather the team at a white board, or just grab a friend and head to the nearest cafe.
2. Complete the story:
vision… how will we change the world? our industry?
because… why was our idea unimaginable before today?
changed… what changed? is it our team? society? tech?
people… how will people change once we deliver?
milestone… what question will be answer first?
partners… who want to help us? (Name names!)
next step…what are we doing today to make it real?
3. Begin sharing the vision with friends, colleagues and partners — ask for their feedback. Capture their insights.
4. Do a deep dive into each aspect the vision to iterate, refine, and keep the vision fresh.
HINT: Print a copy of our vision on poster paper and hang it in an obvious place. Every time we tell the vision to a potential hire, investor, or customer, bring the whole team together to discuss the feedback and how to iterate the story. (Hint: The story can always be simplified. Do not complicate it!)